Globalebridge management believes that it is important for a student to have a suitable accommodation while doing the internship in London .The standard of your performance within your host company and your health can suffer if your living conditions are not satisfactory. In many areas of the UK there is a shortage of student accommodation, so you must start making arrangements as soon as you have an offer from your host company.  Before you leave your home country try to arrange some form of accommodation for when you arrive in the UK, even if it is for a short period.

What types of accommodation are provided upon your recommendation

There are accommodations owned, and managed by some private landlords or external organisations, Estates Agencies, private company or property developers, either independently or in partnership. Student accommodation can look and operate very differently from one block to another. Some are like small houses, others are large.  Some have shared kitchens; in most of the case you will not have your own cooking facilities. Some are designed like flats, others a bedroom on a long corridor.

With the new architecture, there has also been an increase in ‘studio flats’ where one or two people have an individual flat, with their own bathroom and kitchen facilities. There has also been a large increase in “en-suite” accommodation. The “en-suite” type is an accommodation with a small shower room or toilet attached to your bedroom some of these options will suit some people better than others, depending on the preferences, your life style, and the price you are prepared to pay for your accommodation. You can find out more about different type of accommodations and their price range by talking to one of our accommodation officer dealing with your case.

How do you apply for accommodation arranged by us?

In most cases, you must apply for accommodation right at the beginning when applying for your internship before coming to the UK. If a placement is offered to you by a host company you will usually be asked if you would like your accommodation to be nearby your work place or a bit closer to the western zone/city. Make sure that you follow our accommodation’s terms and conditions and meet the deadlines for any accommodation booking process.

When you are making enquiries for accommodations arranged by Globalebridge member of staff, you should read carefully any information they have sent to you and check that you have the answers to the following questions:

  • What types of accommodation are available?
  • How does the short letting works? Is it more expensive?
  • What types of accommodation you are paying for? For how long ?
  • What are the terms and conditions? Is there any Deposit involve? How much?
  • Will I have to leave my accommodation during my internship?
  •  Will I have to provide my own bed-linen, towels and kitchen utensils?
  • Are all Bills included? Have I got access to internet, wifi, or my own usb?
  •  Will accommodation be available for my family? (If relatives are coming
  • for a visit)?
  • Will I have my deposit back without any delay?

NB: Suitable accommodation for students with dependants, especially those with children, is more expensive and is particularly difficult to find in many parts of the UK.

Do not travel to the UK with your family unless you have booked accommodation for them in advance.

What other types of accommodation are available

These types of accommodations are normally owned by charitable organisations. Some hostels provide rooms for both single and married students. They usually provide some meals or have cooking facilities and allow students to prepare their own meal. Staying in a hostel can give you the opportunity to become familiar with the area where you are doing your internship and this is an advantage if you want Globalebridge to find you a private accommodation down the line.

Lodgings or family home stay
This formula means renting a room in a private house with a family.  The owner will also live in the house; you will probably have to share the bathroom and kitchen. You may have to fit in with the family’s lifestyle and respect the customs of the household. Meals may be provided or you may be able to use the kitchen to cook your own food. There may be some restrictions on visitors or overnight guests.  This type of housing can provide you with good company and support but you will not be completely independent although the great advantage lies with the English language that you can learn quickly by immersion.

Studio /bedsit
This is a single room, which is both bedroom and sitting-room  traditionally called bedsit, or studio. There may be several studios in one building and these may be occupied by people who are not students. There may not be any cooking facilities in the room, but a shared kitchen in the building. Bathroom facilities are also shared. Bedsits vary in size and quality so you should bear in mind that prices varied.

Flats and houses
During your internship application, you may have decided to come to UK as a small group of friends from the same University or Scholl and may have wished to share a furnished flat or house together. You will share the rent, heating and lighting bills, the food bills and the cleaning. Globalebridge can arrange this type of accommodation for you. This sort of accommodation can be a bit cheaper than the others.  You will have to provide your own bed-linen and towels and do your own cleaning.

Are there national standards and Codes of Practice for student housing?

Yes. Globalebridge will make sure that any managed housing organisation or partner must compliant with one of three Codes of Practice, or be licensed by the local authority. These Codes ensure that accommodation provided by the private landlords or property agency is safe, good quality and caters for students’ needs.


Whichever type of accommodation you choose, you will probably need to pay a deposit when you move in, as well as one month’s rent in advance. A deposit is a sum of money, usually one month’s rent, which you pay to the landlord or property management agent when you move in. This money will be returned to you when you leave the property, on condition that there has been no damage caused during your stay, beyond what could be considered ‘normal wear and tear ‘Tenancy Deposit Protection”.

If you rent property from a private landlord or property management agent on or after 6 April 2007 and you pay a deposit, the landlord or agent has to protect the deposit in a government authorised scheme. The landlord or agent must give you the details of the deposit protection scheme within 14 days. There are two types of scheme. A  custodial scheme and an insurance based scheme. Under a custodial scheme the landlord or managing agent will pay over your deposit to the Scheme. Under an insurance based scheme, the landlord or agent will keep the deposit.

If, at the end of your tenancy agreement, there is a dispute about some of the deposit, the landlord or agent must pay that amount into the scheme. In order to avoid disputes about the deposit arising at the end of the agreement, you and the landlord or agent should agree at the beginning of the agreement on the condition of the property through a combination of photographs of the property and an inventory of the contents.

How do I get my deposit back?

If your deposit is protected under the custodial scheme there may be a slight delay at the end of the agreement in refunding the deposit to you. This may be a problem if you have a bank account in the UK, which you want to close before you go home.  However deposits can be returned to overseas bank accounts, but you will be charged for this. Under an insurance based scheme, the landlord or agent keeps control of your deposit and should be able to refund it promptly at the end of the agreement, unless there is a dispute.

If there is a dispute between you and the landlord at the end of the agreement, the part of the deposit that is in dispute will stay in the scheme unless you both agree for the matter to be adjudicated on by a free and independent alternative dispute resolution (ADR) procedure provided by the scheme. If you do not use the ADR procedure, you will have to resolve the matter through legal proceedings.

NB: Globalebridge will make sure that all the papers works are done properly to guarantee the student deposit.


Whatever type of accommodation you choose, it is wise to protect your belongings from theft, fire, loss or accidental damage while you are staying in the UK. Companies such as “Endsleigh Insurance” can provide policies to cover clothes, books, computers, hi-fi equipment and valuables. Some halls of residence will automatically include the cost of insurance in their charges – check this with Globalebridge before arranging your own policy.

We work closely with local estates and privates landlords across London and surrey, to provide as part of an all inclusive package a wide range of comfortable accommodation service conveniently located close to your host companies. The cost for the accommodation provided that you will be required to pay will vary depending upon the size, individual privacy, quality, length of your stay. Overall, our accommodation services provide high standard rooms for our interns so that you can enjoy living in a comfortable environment close to your work place. This way you don’t have to worry with any additional transport costs.